Monday, September 6, 2010

How I Clean my Brushes

As you already know, keeping your makeup brushes clean is a serious necessity. If you don't, all your colors will muddy up together and ruin your look. I know there's a million and one videos/blog posts about how people clean their brushes, so I'm not going to explain how to clean them, but techniques I use to clean mine, that I feel are valuable enough to share.



Spot Cleaning
I use MAC Brush Cleanser to spot clean my brushes. Now, I can't be the only one who noticed that the way the bottle is designed is totally cost ineffective - you waste so much product trying to clean your brushes! Instead of keeping it in the bottle it comes in, I put it in a small spray bottle. This will help you waste less product, and get more bang for your buck. I keep the large bottle in a drawer, and keep the spray bottle on my vanity, along with a wash cloth. After every time I dirty up an eye brush, I spray the brush until it's damp, and wipe it clean on the wash cloth. Another advantage of using a spray bottle to clean your eye brushes, is that they dry SUPER quickly, since they aren't getting soaked. They're clean, dry, and ready to use again within 5 minutes or less.

Deep Cleaning
The most frequently recommended product to deep clean your brushes is baby shampoo. I'm not a baby, nor do I have a baby, so I've never had any baby shampoo readily on hand. What I did have readily on hand, was Bath & Body Works gentle foaming hand soap. It was out of pure luck that I discovered how GREAT that soap is for deep cleaning brushes. As the name says, it's very gentle, so it's not harsh at all on the hair of your brushes. When they're washed and dried, the bristles of the brushes are velvety soft! The best part is that when they're all clean, your brushes smell amazing. And this soap is super cheap - I recently bought 7 of them on sale at B&BW (7 soaps for $20 - insane, right?!) so I'm set for a while. I don't think I'll ever use anything else to deep clean my brushes with.

I hope some of this information helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment