Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dupe Soup

I'm usually not too concerned with finding cheap dupes or alternatives for things. If I truly like a product, I'll buy it again (unless it's really ridiculously priced... although if it was, I don't see myself buying it in the first place). BUT ANYWAY!

I ended up stumbling across a fantastic MAC dupe yesterday at Ulta.
Which is very strange. I'm a MAC girl at heart, and I much prefer Sephora to Ulta.

I purchased MAC Black cream color base a long time ago.



This color in particular is meant to be laid down as a colored base on the eye for shadows to stick to and become much more vivid. It's like using stark white, but gives off a slightly different effect. I have liked this product in the past but I find myself never reaching for it, because it's such a brat to work with. It's a product that needs to be warmed up to use properly - which means using your fingers. Don't get me wrong, you can use it with a brush, but it's much harder to work with that way. So to get the full effect of this product, you need to get black allllll over your finger(s). Try to blend it on your eye, and it gets everywhere. The worst part is, it stains your fingers AND brushes. What a brat. All things aside, the effect the product gives is fantastic. It makes eyeshadows look vivid and smokey and wonderful. But is it worth it?

I stopped by Ulta yesterday and was looking through the tiny NYX section, looking at their jumbo pencils. I wasn't having much luck finding any colors I liked. Most of them were "Ehh, that's nice..." at most. I passed by this color a few times before realizing that it could be a great dupe.

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean.



I swatched it, and it was love. It's super creamy and super soft. It melted onto my skin with only a small touch. I bought it, brought it home, and immediately starting playing. It goes on super easily, blends like a dream, and has the same exact effect as the Black cream color base. And it's no mess!

As for wear, I can only say that the MAC cream color base wore fine (no creasing) every time I wore it. With products like this, you need to make sure you don't glob it on, and blend it out pretty thin. Same goes for NYX jumbo pencils. The only other color I have is Milk, and that will crease if you don't use another base under it, and if you apply too much product. I expect the same goes for Black Bean. I never have a problem with cream products as long as I apply them the right way.

So I successfully found a good dupe (be it a quite obvious, no brainer dupe, but hey) and I wanted to share.

MAC Cream Color Base = $16.50
NYX Jumbo Pencils = $5.50
Savings = $11.00

No comments:

Post a Comment