Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fortune Cookie Soaps

Not too long ago, I talked about how this was one of the companies that I really wanted to try out. Recently, Fortune Cookie Soaps paired up with Groupon and offered an awesome deal; buy a Groupon for $5 and get $15 worth of product. Basically, this coupon is worth $15 of product, but you only buy it for $5. Sweet deal right? Save yourself 10 bucks. If you don't know what a Groupon is, it's a company that teams up with businesses (usually small, but sometimes large) to offer you a discounted deal for products, services, or events for a certain amount of time. The allotted time all depends on how long the business wants the offer to be available for (usually it's anywhere from 24 hours to a week). It's a really awesome concept, and you can even sign up for Groupons in your hometown so you'll get emails of offers in your area.

In any event, I thought this would be the perfect time to try Fortune Cookie Soaps out. I had heard so much about them from xsparkage (Leesha) on YouTube so I was pretty excited. I love awesome smelling solid soaps, as I'm pretty anti-bodywash. I'm a self diagnosed LUSH addict and their soaps are absolutely divine, so I figured that I'd love FCS just as well. The only thing was, this would be a blind buy - it's so risky to buy smelly things over the internet because descriptions are not always accurate. Reviews are the opposite of helpful, because even if 100 people hate it and 2 love it, smell preference is all personal.

They have more than just fortune cookie soaps; they have regular bars of soap, body scrubs, bubblebaths and all kinds of stuff. I have enough LUSH soap to last me 29340389 years, so I wanted to go for the fortune cookies, if not only for the novelty. I purchased 5 fortune cookie soaps - Eye of the Tiger, Boogeyman, Violet Raspberry, Vivid, and Clementine Ginger. They sent me a small sample of Lime in the Coconut bar soap in my order as well.




(You can choose to have them in mock Chinese food to-go boxes for an extra 25 cents. They're available in black, white, red, and clear. I got one black and one clear, the rest without boxes.)


As far as first impressions go, I think they're absolutely adorable. When I opened my package, the mix of all the smells was delicious. I immediately moved on to closer inspection.


Eye of the Tiger





The website describes this scent as:
"Celebrate the Chinese New Year, with Eye of the Tiger fortune cookie. A mesmerizing blend of Pineapple and Candy Cane."
I can definitely smell the pineapple, but not so much the candy cane. It's more like a candy pineapple than a true pineapple, but I definitely enjoy this scent.

Boogeyman





The website describes this scent as:
"This sweet smelling, absolutely intoxicating and all around out of this world fortune cookie soap may look a little weird but come on, with a name like Boogeyman – would you expect it to be all rainbows and kittens? The Boogeyman deserves a little more and he tends to be a little bit morbid, so we decided to pull together black and purple swirls to make this fantastic concoction of papaya, mango and candy corn, because really? What is soap without the smell of candy corn?"
Papaya, mango and candycorn... I smell none of the above. This soap smells like straight up Play-Doh. It literally smells like I just opened up a fresh pack of Play-Doh, which brings me waaay back into my childhood. Some people love the smell of Play-Doh - me included - but for a soap, I'm not a fan. I bought this because I wanted to smell a candy-sweet citrus scent, not a childhood toy. If you're fond of smelling like Play-Doh, you'll like this one.

Violet Raspberry





The website describes this scent as:
"Do you love flowers? Do you love berries? Then I know that you are going to love our tangy, fresh floral scent of the Violet Raspberry fortune cookie soap! This particular piece of soap is not only one of the prettiest we have in our collection but if you want great-smelling skin that is soft, clean and all around out of this world, this is the piece of soap for you!"
I can faintly smell violet, but I absolutely do not smell rasbperry. This smells EXACTLY like hotel soap. You know, those tiny bars of soap they keep wrapped up in fancy paper next to your sink and in your shower, which smell really plasticy and cheap and dry your hands out? Yeah, that soap. That's exactly what this one smells like. Once again, if you like the smell of hotel soap, you'll love this. Personally, I don't like it.

Vivid





The website describes this scent as:
"This is one for the girls now! Let your inner girly girl get out and have some fun with this vividly pink and sweet smelling fortune cookie soap! We believe that every girl is a princess and we also believe that every princess wants to smell oh-so-sweet and with a combination of peach daiquiri and green apple, you can not go wrong with this bright pink soap!"
First of all, I noticed that the description on the website and the "smells like:" on the sticker are completely different. What's up with that? All I know is - This. Makes. Me. Want. To. Projectile. Vomit. This does NOT smell like peach daiquiri and green apple, OR acai and whatever the hell Mangosteen is; it smells like fruit punch Kool-Aid, and the disgusting smell is so strong it feels like it punches you square in the face. This is absolutely not for the faint of heart. I've always despised fruit punch juice, and to smell it so strongly in a soap makes my gag reflex go batshit crazy. No no, no no no no no, no no NO. No. No. NO. No. Bad bad bad. No.

Clementine Ginger





The website describes this scent as:
"‘Oh my darlin’, Oh my darlin’ Clementine!!!’ – that was the inspiration behind this beautiful mixture of clementine and ginger fortune cookie soap. Beyond smelling good, this particular soap is a friggin’-fantastic way to wake you up and get your day started. The heavenly orange smell combine with a zesty and spicy ginger scent will certainly wake up your eyes, face, arms, legs and … well, you get the picture… just buy it and see, I promise you’ll love it!"
I definitely like this smell. It's pretty citrusy, with a tinge of cheap hotel soapy smell, but mostly yummy citrus. This is definitely a winner.

Sample of Lime in the Coconut soap bar



The website describes this scent as:
"Refreshing, lime margarita scent with a splash of coconut … that is what you are getting with this brand new bar from Fortune Cookie Soap! Lime does not just go well with a Corona anymore! Made with 100% Certified Organic soap, we’ve combined it with coconut fragrance and coconut flakes for exfoliation. This stuff smells so good you are going to want to take a bite out of it -- but don’t, because it won’t taste good, but you’ll smell good!"
Ironically, this is the best smelling thing out of the bunch. It smells divine. It's not too much of either lime or coconut - it's the absolute perfect balance in between. I love love love this scent, and hope they come out with a fortune cookie of this scent. Like I said before, I buy the fortune cookies for the novelty; I keep the bar soaps with LUSH.


Overall, I liked 2/5 of the fortune cookies. The 3 I don't like are being donated to various family members, if they want them. I'm relatively pleased with my experience with this company, even though I don't love all the scents I purchased. Like I said, buying scented products from a website is a complete blind buy. It's hit or miss. You may love vanilla scented things, and order a vanilla scented candle online, and hate it when you get it. You just never know. The only gripe I had with this company is that their scent descriptions are NOT very accurate. I would suggest either changing their descriptions to better fit the scents, or change the scents to better fit the descriptions. Personally, I would want the scents changed, because I was so excited for the scents I chose and extremely disappointed when they smelled NOWHERE near as delicious as the descriptions sounded.


Other important/miscelanous information:
*Shipping time was decent. I placed my order on Sunday, and recieved it today (Saturday).
*The soaps are hollow and don't have much weight to them.
*They're anywhere from $2.75 - $2.99 each.
*They are decently sized. Here is the size compared to my hand:


(Take into account that I have very small hands.)

*On the back of each fortune, it says "Matthew 6:34" which I figured was a Bible verse. I'm not religous whatsoever, so I was a bit irked when I saw this on the back. Not every customer will be a Christian and follow the bible. If I had a company, I wouldn't put "There's no such thing as God" on the back - because it's not necessary. I Googled the verse, and it happened to be "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." At least it makes sense. ;]


Would I recommend this company? Yes I would. I think the idea of soaps shaped like fortune cookies is absolutely adorable. They're extremely affordable, unique, and would make GREAT Christmas/birthday presents. They even have assorted gift baskets on their website which would be perfect for gift giving. Like I said, smell preference is completely personal. Just because I didn't like some of the scents, doesn't mean other people won't. It also doesn't mean that I don't like the company. I just picked some scents that, if smelled in real life before purchasing, I wouldn't have chosen. It happens!

Will I be repurchasing? I'm not so sure. I was extremely disappointed with more than half of the scents I recieved, so I'd have to test them out in the shower and see how I feel about their actual use before I made a decision on repurchasing or not. If they do well in the shower, make me feel clean and moisturized, I'll play with the idea of exploring other scents.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have always been a fan of the fashion arts, and I like your blog, so here's my comment. I hope you will stop by my blog, and if you follow me, I will follow you....

    What do you think?

    I hope to hear from you,

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this great review. I was going to order, but I think I'll save my money and pass on this one. TBH The Bible verse thing really turns me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to feature you on my blog! I developed the idea for "Featured Followers by Elle© " & this is how I promote my followers. But it helps them increase traffic to their blog & allows other followers to learn more about the blogs that I feature. If you're interested my blog is at www.edkdolce.blogspot.com.
    ♥ Elle

    ReplyDelete