Wednesday, August 11, 2010

L'Oreal Infallible Lip Color

Generally, I really hate drugstore makeup. No intentions of snobbiness, I just really hate drugstore quality. It feels, looks, and smells cheap. So, saying I love something that comes from the drugstore is a big thing for me. Ironically, my favorite liquid foundation is Revlon Photoready (I'm 005 Natural Beige). I had recently ran out, so I stopped by CVS to pick up another bottle.

I also wanted to check out L'Oreal Infallible Lip Color in Beyonce Red after hearing good things about it from Kandee Johnson. I love firetruck red lips. To achieve them, I use MAC Russian Red lipstick and Russian Red lipgloss. But everyone knows that MAC lipglosses are stickier than a sweaty whore in church, so I was looking for another option. Of course I was drawn in by the cool packaging and celebrity endorsement as well.

First of all, I'm absolutely disgusted with how much drugstore prices have risen! My Revlon Photoready was $14, and the L'Oreal lipcolor was $12. Are you KIDDING me? For cheap drugstore shit? That's ridiculous. If I'm going to shell out that much money for makeup, I'm going to MAC or Sephora (which I usually do anyway, it's a SUPER rare occasion to see me in the cosmetics aisle of the drugstore).

After reeling over spending almost $30 on makeup from CVS, I got in the car and immediately tried out the lip color. I applied the red twice, and the gloss. As soon as I was finished, I went to rub my lips togther, to warm up the product and spread it around... and it began curdling and peeling off. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen. It all flaked off my lips, leaving patches of red stains, making me look like I had just bit through my lips. I was in disbelief - how could they make a lip product that you can't rub your lips together with? I was firstly pissed off that I had just wasted $12 on a crap drugstore lip color when I could have just shelled out another $2 for a MAC lipstick or lipgloss, one that I know I'd like.

I thought about throwing it out, but I thought better of it, and tossed it into my lipgloss drawer. I took it out again today and decided to try it out again. Maybe it was just a one time thing, maybe I did something wrong, maybe it was just really hot in the car. So I tested it out again today, and to my surprise, it didn't flake off like it did yesterday.

The application is a bit of a pain, but at least it wasn't a total waste of money. You apply the red side twice, then the clear gloss side. It's supposed to be smudgeproof, kiss proof, eat proof, ect.


Packaging:




Red lip color:



Clear gloss stick:



Mirror:




I have to admit, I love the packaging. It's unique.


Application

Bare lips:


First coat:


Second coat:


Gloss:


Kiss proof?:

Not so much.


Things to know - the formulation of the red lip color is very thin. It gets very sticky before you put the gloss on it, and you should let each coat dry before you apply another. The mirrored packaging is easily fingerprinted. The red lip color has no smell, but the clear gloss stick has an almost fruity smell I can't put my finger on.

Overall, I'd say this product is a big fat ehhhh. I could live without it. Especially for the $12 price tag. If I could go back, I'd definitely skip it.

Hope this helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment